Started Jul 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Hans Kruse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,431
Re: Is the 5dmk3 the perfect camera?

qianp2k wrote:

Hans Kruse wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

Hans Kruse wrote:

I have been shooting the 5D III side by side with the D800E for over a year now. The one thing I really don't like about the D800(E) is shooting in live view where the camera basically freezes until the buffer is written to the card(s). I hope the D810 has solved this problem alongside the EFC that is now there.

The D800E has slightly higher resolution and a better DR by a good margin. But I can almost always get the shots I want with the Canon system. I would like the banding to go away in the shadows although only sometimes a problem which can be solved with HDR merges (< 1% of my shots)

yeah me too running two systems and agree I can "almost always get the shots" (in landscape shooting regarding the DR) with my 1DS3 but it was just so much easier with my D800E, I still use GND filters on both but with D800E I did a lot less PP work, and I mainly shoot in those high DR scene during sunrise sunset and with dark foreground shadows, and the shadow from the D800E is just day and night cleaner than my 1DS3 and the 5D3, But well, the LV.....it's a pain with the D800E, I mean a real pain, not only the camera freeze when writing files to card, the whole implementation is just a joke, try using it at night to shoot Milky way and Stars.....I will pay some big $$$ on a camera with same sensor but with the Canon LV implemetation, hope that 810 is the one, but I doubt it, they just don't have a clue about this LV thing.

It'd need to build another set of Nikon lenses for Canon photographers opt dual systems of Canon and Nikon that will be costly and extra burden to lug around. If you are mainly for landscape and studio work, A7R is a great option that allows you to share one set of lenses and you still can use all other DSLR/SLR lenses. A7R LV (as good as 5D3) and EVF (most useful in landscape) are excellent. Many Canon professionals and enthusiasts have A7R now and it delivers similar IQ as D800E and should D810 as well.

The reason I shoot a dual system is for my workshops. If not I would not shoot a dual system.

Yes I have seen your photos, truly fantastic! Your photos from Canon cameras prove with capable hands they still can deliver wonderful photos.

Thanks very much. In essence there is little difference if I shoot with the Nikon or the Canon.

The Sony A7R may be a good system but there is an issue with shutter shake and it is therefore not as good as Canon 5D III in LV since it does not have EFC.

True but seems been exaggerated by some people. It depends how you use it. The professionals like you and Fred Miranda who mainly shoot on tripod, then this is not an issue. The issue only obvious when FL is at 100mm or longer under specific shutter range 1/60 (or 1/30 as someone claimed) to 1/160 sec. Fred Miranda in his A7R review with Canon lensessaid this basically doesn't affect him. If necessary with a tele-lens he used ND filter to slow down shutter below affected shutter range. Many A7R owners including myself found by just adding a mass (such as I simply insert 430EX II into A7R's hotshoe but works better at bottom) can largely eliminate this issue with a tele lens under the affected shutter range. If shutter is below 1/30 then this is not an issue even with a tele lens. Shutter shock is not an issue to WA and UWA lenses especially under 60mm FL even in affected shutter range.

The shutter shock issue is well documented and I know some reviewers have not seen it and I guess they have not been careful enough.

The new Nikon D810 has EFC too and is therefore better than the A7R.

Don't know how D810 LV works. But A7R EVF (and its LV has no issue as in D800/E) has a huge advantage in manual focusing lenses over OVF/LV especially under bright light, so easier and more accurate, no comparison on my experiences.

I don't like adapters where you in most cases except Metabones III loose AF.

For landscape photographers like you, I guess AF is not that important. MF thru EVF is just so much easier and more accurate. Obviously Fred and many professionals don't have that issue.

The only reason I see to go with the Sony is to use Sony lenses due to less weight and size. Not that much actually if you compare f/4 lenses from Canon and the 6D.

Still quite difference in weight/size between A7R+FE 24-70/4.0 OSS vs 6D+24-70L/4.0 IS if you check in http://camerasize.com/compare/ site, no mention A7R is much better than 6D in resolution and DR.

Much better resolution? Look at the zoom lenses from Sony and compare with the Canon ones on the 6D. Here is the DxO measurements of the Sony 70-200 f/4 vs. Nikon f/4 and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. You can see that the Sony and Nikon winns in the center and at 200mm the Nikon winns also at the edges. The Sony falls flat here with significant less resolution than the 6D. Another thing to consider is the fall off in resolution when stopping down and also the DOF becomes more shallow if you want to retain the resolution from the higher MP cameras. So yes, there is a higher resolution where the lenses perform the best in the center and at the focal plane where you focus, but as you move away from both the resolution falls off and the difference becomes less and sometimes even gets reversed.

Granted the A7R has more resolution but when there is shutter shake the resolution is not even as high as the A7. So until Sony has solved the issues and come out with a new A7R with EFC I'm not interested in adding this to my bag.

Sure everyone has his/her preference. But you might consider a try, it's basically non-issue with so-called shutter shock if you use it appropriately especially in professional style. I am sure no matter what cameras you use, you can generate wonderful photos that I really enjoy. I hope having time and money to join your workshops

The reviewers who have reported this issue found this on a tripod and actually less so handheld! It is not a socalled issue, it is real. If I should consider the Sony it would be for my workshop guests. I have had several already. I also looked briefly at the Sony and was not immediately liking the form factor, the EVF and the buttons, but I could probably get used to that.

You are welcome to join one of my workshops Why should time and money be an issue? Buy less gear which doesn't really matter that much and become a better photographer

Hans Kruse's gear list:Hans Kruse's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Yxa
Yxa
(unknown member)
Rob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow