Why I DON'T care about equivalence, and you shouldn't either!

Started Jul 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,111
Why I DON'T care about equivalence, and you shouldn't either!

Over the decades I've been around MANY film formats, 110, 126, 6cm x 6cm, 8"x10", 24"x36" (that's 2 feet by 3 feet sheet film), and of course 35mm/135 aka "full frame" (I REALLY HATE THAT TERM). Not once did I stop to think, "I wonder what the equivalence is on another format."

When I used medium format and I had an 85mm lens on the camera I didn't think, "I wonder what the equivalent 135 format lens would be?" When I started using medium format I learned that 85mm is a "normal" lens on my medium format camera and what the depth of field is. When I started shooting FourThirds format I learned that 25mm is "normal" for that format and what the DOF is. Anything with a higher number than "normal" is telephoto, and anything with a lower number than "normal" is wide angle.

You shoot for the limitations, AND benefits of the format YOU ARE USING…no point thinking about some other format you're not currently using.

I live in a country that uses metric for speed limits, and if I travel to the US and the speed limit says 55 miles per hour I don't pull over to try and calculate how many km/h that is...I just keep pushing the accelerator until the speedometer says 55mph and not worry about the other unit of measurement. I then drive for the current traffic and road conditions using visual references. I don't put little stickers on the speedometer so I know the km/h equivalence.

Worrying about equivalence all the time is like being married but always trying to make your spouse up to be something she isn't, like a supermodel.

Love the camera YOU HAVE and learn to get the best out of it, not some other camera you DON'T!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow