C&C: Iceland Waterfall in B&W (w/ E-M1)

Started Jul 11, 2014 | Photos thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,482
Re: C&C: Iceland Waterfall in B&W (w/ E-M1)

Solomente wrote:

I took this picture on a recent trip to Iceland. It is Skogafoss waterfall along Iceland's south coast. I of course have tons of pictures from the 2 week trip but this one in particular I took a very different (for me) approach in processing it as B&W. I'd be interested in C&C if you all think this works. Some may react with *groan* "another boring long exposure waterfall" but that's ok, I'm interested to know if that is the consensus too. As far as the B&W processing, notice the negative greens/yellows and blues. Also, I toyed around with cropping out the bottom portion by changing aspect ratios but decided to keep it as is so I'm interested in feedback on that too.

P.S. I have thick skin but useful feedback would be appreciated!

I was awed initially. Without the human element I'm not sure I would have appreciated the scale (and awe).

I tend to like flow to be something between this sort of silky and fast-shutter frozen, but would have taken it with different shutter speeds if not rushed (different versions of the same thing, for different purposes?). But I like this all the same. I also am a bit anal about things like the brightness of the falls - where it's all so bright that it's hard to determine texture (and probably would have tried to spread the highlight tonal range to provide more definition, and/or applied burning to the brightest part of the falls, if it's possible to do).

I like your perspective and delivery here. And there's probably many perspectives, as well as many ways to develop for presentation, that are just as compelling - and difficult to 2nd guess unless one is familiar with the location. Just one element is a bit of a distraction, that I'd brighten or clone away - the dark sky peeking through cloud directly above the falls.

I hope one day to experience this place, but in the meanwhile this is a great vicarious alternative.

ISO 200 f8 5s w/ E-M1 and 12-40 @ 15mm

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow