Some Tips for better AF on a Nikon D800 here

Started Jul 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
primeshooter
primeshooter Senior Member • Posts: 3,624
Some Tips for better AF on a Nikon D800 here

I have been using the Nikon D800 for some time, I found out some things which really help AF which may be useful. I have noticed this stuff over a long period of usage of the camera.

Firstly, if your subject is far away from the camera, use AF-C (even if they are still / motionless - this is important). It's especially important if they aren't filling the frame and you want to isolate them with an f/1.4 lens with shallow dof. Obviously if they are far away and moving, use AF-C as well. People seem to think AF-On and then the shutter to take the picture is more accurate. I've tried both - don't see it myself. I think what people are seeing is what I am describing here, that perhaps the system works better at a distance with AF-C regardless of the subject being static or moving, and works the same whether you use the AF-On button to focus or the shutter to do both (bear with me on this)...

I have found that if you use AF-C for a close up subject (I'm talking about close enough that you need to select an eye as dof will be very shallow), you will (if using AF-C) get a lot of AF misses because in AF-C mode the D800 has rights to switch from the selected AF point to the adjacent if it finds greater contrast. IMO this is a ridiculous idea is what happens is often the system chooses the wrong eye and messes up a good picture.

So moving on, for close range, I always use AF-S, especially if it's portraiture (think 85mm f/1.4 lens) and one eye is a priority or shooting at f/1.4 (you get the idea). AF-S and single point AF mode, forces the system to only focus via that focus point and yields better results IMO.

I can't believe I am writing this, as it truly goes against every bone in my body but I find AUTO mode to be surprisingly accurate with a caveat - in certain situations. (I come from always using AF-S or AF-C true single point mode only as I don't like any other modes really). It detects faces, generally finds the subject in the frame and works even at f/1.4. Give it a trial, seriously! I find that time and time again if i follow the near AF-S and far AF-C rule for (both static subjects I might add) that AF is improved even when checking 100% crops on a monitor.

primeshooter's gear list:primeshooter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D810
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow