Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Started Jul 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Re: Mirrorless & DSLR Weight Comparison

Weight and size were not major factors for me .

I bought my mirrorless camera ( Pentax K-01 ) as an upgrade over my Canon G11 compact , which was OK for general shooting in good daylight but poor in low light , and not as good as my DSLR's in any case . It was , and remains , a handy little camera to stick in a pocket or keep in the glovebox of the car , much as my Rollei 35S was back in the film days .

I bought the K-01 recently as the few remaining unsold ones can now be picked up for around £200 ( mine was an ex demo camera with full warranty from a main dealer ) , and got a DA 40mm Ltd f2.8 pancake lens to partner it . This combo is pocketable in an outdoor jacket pocket , if not smaller pockets ; being effectively a K-5 the IQ is much better than the G11 plus I can use all my existing K mount lenses , including my compact SMC-M primes , my Pentax-dedicated Metz flashes , and it uses the same batteries as my K-3 , for which it is a useful backup camera .

It probably weighs around the same as my *istD and is possibly about the same size - the main reason for getting it was , partly , the bargain price and partly that it just isn't a DSLR , so under some circumstances is more covert and attracts less attention since you look more like a casual shooter and not a 'pro' , which can sometimes be an advantage .
--
With kind regards

Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow