Started Feb 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
brucet
brucet Senior Member • Posts: 2,571
Re: No more Nx2. Welcome to NXD!

StillLearning wrote:

Mr Gadget wrote:

scehotch wrote:

Oh dear..just installed it and am presented with a poor man's Photoshop. U-point is the major loss. Doesn't Nikon realise that a silly piece of software like this is not expected by Nikon users? Any number of freebie packages are as good.

So, I will stick with NX2 and the dreaded Photoshop. And I did like the magic brush too

Nikon cannot cut a brake. Prior to NX2 there was a hew and cry that Nikon should leave software development to a pro software house rather than trying to do it internally. So the contract with Nik to produce NX2 which folks still complained about - bad user interface, i.e. was not the same as Photoslop, but everyone generally loved the results. Google comes along and buys Nik and for whatever reason tells Nikon that they would no longer support NX2. So Nikon goes to SilkyPix and has them develop a Raw Converter that would produce the same results as NX2, and Nikon will offer it as a freebie. End result, Nikon is once again the bad guy in all of this.

IMO, NXD does a creditable job with converting NEFs to Jpeg/Tiff. The only thing I don't care for is the Damn Sidecar files which seem to be present with all converters these days.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

I was first upset but realized I basically only use NX2 to convert. I would usually finish up in CS5. I started`using the color booster with image rotation alignment plus crop. Don't know if NX-D has those still. I will download it July 15 and play wiht it. Until I get a D810, D9300 or whatever is new, I will still use NX2. I was concerned at first with NX-D wiping out my NX2. Now that I've heard that they can be run concurrently I will give it a look over.

I'm one of those folks that think Nikon should avoid the software side of the industry. But until the 'perfect' company will work with them I guess NX-D is as good as it will get! Maybe Nikon can get into bed with Adobe. Price could then go from $0.00 to $'you're joking'. Then maybe Adobe can charge us all for using the 'clod', oops mean 'cloud'. There again they may team up with Corel who would then keep us waiting for camera updates for yonks.

The reality is that NX-D is a very good basic converter that has the ability to read/use in camera settings. Something none of the other can do. I jumped from years of using Bibble/ASP to NX-D and found I had better results over all. (Yeah somewhat limited editing but I do all the 'other' stuff in PSPx6). NX-Ds use of in camera settings 'encourages' you to get your work 'better' in camera. But you still have the option of editing your raws.

I like NX-D. Will now stick with it. It's fast. It reads your settings. It's very cheap!!!

regards

brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
(unknown member)
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow