Gary Winogrand Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC

Started Jul 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,278
Further thoughts...

Chris wrote in spx:

the nyt posted dueling reviews of the show, here , and here . both (but especially the first) miss i think the most fundamental points of winogrand's work, but all the more reason to see the show in person.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53986172

Artists fill different roles for different audiences.

I'm guessing GW inspires xtoph the way HCB inspires me. When I leave an HCB show, I just have an uncontrollable urge to take pictures.

It seems that for Jeff and Chris, and others, GW is a photographer's photographer. He shows a way to photograph and see that is literally inspiring the way HCB and Leiter are to me.

[Feel free to skip this. Edmund Spenser is that kind of poet to those who know English poetry well. As a pure poet he has no peers but Milton and Shakespeare. His half-finished epic is the longest poem in the language by far. But only poetry freaks who are far gone read it for pleasure. Sometimes people comment on the beauty of my verse. A poet who was criticized for being archaic while he lived 400+ years ago during the Renaissance is responsible.  BTW, archaism was the rage among the cogniscenti back then the way modernity is now.  Isn't life strange?]

For people into the history of modernism in photography, and also the social connection of photographers he is important.

For other critics, he is a nightmare. He did not feel responsible toward his artistic persona even as much as Weegee was. Thus the articles in the Times. What they left out was not important to them, even if it was to Chris and Jeff. An HCB show or essay can leave out much that is important and still be satisfying because his life and work are so rich. GW's importance is more focused.

For viewers who are not photographers: Meh. Some pretty good photos, they take a little getting used to. Not much to take home with you.
For people who want insight from the art they view, he offers nothing.

[Auden said poets dream of writing for great statesmen, beautiful women and their fellow poets. But since they are actually read by high school teachers, teenage girls and their fellow poets, they should just write for their fellow poets.]

I hope this is clarifying a little.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow