Gary Winogrand Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC

Started Jul 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Re: the show is well worth seeing

jeff hladun wrote:

xtoph wrote:

winogrand has never been my favorite photographer, but every time i read another review or commentary on his work which utterly fails to apprehend the first thing about what he did, i end up liking him a bit more.

Geez Chris, even for you this is an uncharacteristically arrogant and condescending comment.

"even for me"? wow.

Care to cite some references of those who fail to understand Winogrand as deeply as you? While you're at it, care to tell us what it is about Winogrand you understand that other vested and interested writers don't?

i've repeatedly asked you for citations to back up your various ridiculous assertions, such as 'cartier-bresson didn't really believe in the decisive moment, and neither did his wife', but you never have. i, on the other hand, am always happy to provide apropos references and quotations .

We can take whatever we want, with whatever our limits of understanding are, from an artist's work. Viewers are allowed to pick and choose that which connects them to: a work, a body or work, or the creator of the work.

We shouldn't make light of that connection or sneer at it; that it is made is success enough.

i completely agree. and i don't know why you would think i would believe otherwise.

i also don't know why you insist on taking issue with me, my posts, my camera skills, my photos, but believe me when i say that the post above to which you responded had absolutely nothing to do with you. it mainly had to do with reading the two latest reviews of the winogrand retrospective in the nyt, mostly this one , and also had to do with a 'review' that was posted in the sf chronicle when the show first came out. as for my own observations about winogrand, well, i've posted a great deal on the subject in this forum before, but if you're really interested you could begin by reading the various postings here .

i think you often have interesting observations and insight to share about photos, jeff, but i haven't a clue what you think you are doing in posts like this.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow