Gary Winogrand Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC

Started Jul 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 15,875
Re: Gary Winogrand Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC

jeff hladun wrote:

Frank, I place Winogrand as the father of Modernist photography, in that he has shown me a way to look at a photograph as a photograph, instead of the more regular way of looking through the photograph at subject matter, elements or structure. That is to say, a way to get away from viewing subject matter, subject and form, and to look at a photograph as something in and of itself.

Damned if I can explain it any better...and I don't know if it's true that he is considered by others to be the first practitioner of the Modernist approach in photography, but for me he is the one. It might have something to do with living in NYC and being influenced by Clement Greenberg, or at least Greenberg's students and painters; there is just something about the way he wrested the photographic image away from the pictorial realism of painting, and pushed the (pictorial) limitations of the four-sided picture.

I read this with great interest and sympathy, Jeff.  Maybe my way of thinking is hopelessly old fashioned, or maybe I've benefited from y'all who had to make the jump earlier and more consciously.

But what would really nail it for me, and button it down, would be an example picture or two or three to show what you mean.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow