Sony A7s 5 stops brighter than NEX-5R??

Started Jul 8, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
grprahl New Member • Posts: 5
Sony A7s 5 stops brighter than NEX-5R??

I do video work in the Outdoor industry, mainly a combination of video and timelapses which I always shoot as raw image sequences. I'm considering upgrading from the NEX-5R to the A7s because of the increased low light for video (in outdoor filming, low light is the norm rather than the exception). Let me know if I am understanding this right...

-According to DXOMark, the A7s has a usable ISO of 3702, whereas the NEX-5R has a usable rating of 910. This matches my previous experience that anything above ISO 800 looks a little too grainy. That's over 2 stops just from difference in sensitivity.

-According to Digicamdb, the A7s pixel area is 69.22 um^2 vs the 22.66um^2 of the NEX-5R. That's over a 3x difference in area. Does that also equate to a 3 stop increase in light gathering ability? Meaning that combined with the increased ISO sensitivity, I could expect roughly 5 stops of extra light gathering with the A7s and potentially use my f4 zoom lens at decent shutter speed when I would have had to switch to a f/1.4 prime in the past and slowed the shutter?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow