was asked to do street photography for a magazine... do I need model releases?

Started Jun 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Veteran Member • Posts: 7,743
Re: was asked to do street photography for a magazine... do I need model releases?

Stilograph wrote:

At least where I come from, public streets are okay to shoot in. Here the law defines however, that you can't take an image of a single person without their consent. If the person is in context with something bigger, like, say a fair, it's all good. You can't however ridicule him. It's a fine line. I would just go and ask the permission, easier that way.

In the USA there is a different laws for whether or not you are allowed to take a photograph of a person, vs. what you are allowed to do with the photo once it is taken.

For instance, generally I don't need permission, to take a photo of a person sitting on a bench in a public park.

I probably would not need permission in order to use the photo alongside a story about the city wanting to remove the park benches.

However, I probably need the person's permission, if I want to use that photo in an advertisement for the company that makes those benches.

The rules for when you can photograph a person without permission are more lenient than the rules for what you are allowed to do with that photograph.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow