Keep my new 50LF1.2 or return it for a 50mmArt ?!?

Started Jul 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
keithinmelbourne
keithinmelbourne Contributing Member • Posts: 950
Re: My 50L was "soft" until….

DFPanno wrote:

Steve W wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

… a sent it to Canon and had it calibrated to my 5D3.

It came back a whole different lens.

With the right artistic intentions in mind it is a fantastic lens.

I would not replace it with a sharper lens with rougher bokeh. I have a 50 f/1.4 for that.

Thought about doing this as well. Did it come back with them working with an AFMA setting of zero or with some +/- setting. Did they adjust just the lens, the body, the AFMA setting, or some of each. Reason I ask is that I really can't afford to do all my lenses so I don't know how this would impact how the other lenses I own.

They adjusted the body and it did not involve a change in AFMA; it was zero !

They adjusted some other module but I never got a full explanation.

The lens went from being unusable to perfect.

I thought I was just dealing with the challenges of the 50L. Wish I sent it sooner.

I had similar thoughts of buying the Sigma, but I MA'd my 50L a couple of years ago on my 1DsMkIII, and it was very sharp. On my newer Canon bodies it has not needed adjustment, so my 50L has been a reliable performer. The Sigma does have some appeal, but it is big and heavy  and may not have any 'native' sharpness with Canon bodies.

For instance, I recently bought the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and it has been really difficult to achieve accurate focus, even using Sigma's dock, whereas my recent Canon lens purchases have not needed MA on my 6D, 70D & 100D bodies. So, I'm bit shy about Sigma lenses.

-- hide signature --

Every day is a good day! Wumen
http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow