A7 gives false AF confirmation (occasionally)

Started Jul 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sol Invictus
Sol Invictus Regular Member • Posts: 465
A7 gives false AF confirmation (occasionally)

Here is my problem. Although I enjoy the image output of the Sony A7, there are times that I get frustrated with this camera. Here is why:

I almost exclsively use the A7 + Zeiss FE 2470 combo. I've checked both the camera body and the lens for defects etc. and found none. A problem that sometimes appears is that although I get the AF confirmation (green dot & beep sound), I later find out that some of my pictures are blurred like taken with no focusing at all.

What is frustrating is that I get "fooled" by the AF confirmation system and relying on that, I expect my pictures to come out in focus. But nope, almost 2/10 pictures have this issue and it's not like having to do with shutter shock (EFCS is enabled). I also put the camera on a sturdy tripod to take pictures.

I mostly see that this issue comes up when I use Flexible Spot in Small size and also in situations when there is not much contrast difference in the frame. Inability to acquire focus I can bare with but false focus confirmation is utterly frustrating!

Has anyone else had this issue with his Sony A7? Is there a way to ensure that the camera has actually acquired focus?

*note that I'm NOT referring to manual focusing method.

-- hide signature --

avid landscaper...

Sol Invictus's gear list:Sol Invictus's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +14 more
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow