What is the sharpest M43 Olympus lens?

Started Jul 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,285
Re: What is the sharpest M43 Olympus lens?

Maklike Tier wrote:

This is not my opinion, but if you read all of the lens tests around the web, the Voigtlanders 25mm is the resolution king. Resolution is not just the highest values in the centre of the frame, but also the lowest difference in resolution between the centre and the edges, as well as at what f-Stop that occurs.

Whose opinion? Can you provide some links to back up what you've just said?

I've read several reviews of the Voigtlander 25mm Nokton (e.g. Ming Thein, Luminous Landscape, etc.) and a common point is that this lens has softer corners than the centre (as you would expect). Ming's even writes "optically, it’s definitely not the best I’ve used".

If an overall sharpness from corner-to-corner is more important than just in the center I think the 12-40 is a strong contender. It's a wonerful lens for landscape, architecture and interiors and always when you want sharpness in the whole picture. Top sharpness from 12 to 25 mm and at f/4. Still sharp at 40 but a little less.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow