Can't Sell My USA Bought Camera in the UK?

Started Jul 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
NottsPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,235
Re: Can't Sell My USA Bought Camera in the UK?

edwardwallace wrote:

My wife and I have been living in the UK now for 9 months. Her job transferred her here on a 2 year secondment. I purchased my camera from KEH in the states back in March 2012. Yesterday, I was trying to trade my D800 and a lens to MPB Photographic . They told me they would not be able to buy it from me . I was asked, " Do you have proof of VAT being paid upon these items when importing into the UK." Then was told, "the deal cannot go thru because I did not pay VAT"

Can someone please explain what the deal is ???

Best,

Ed

Mpb are being a bit pedantic...     They like to sell gear with good provenience... Not grey.

If you import a bit of kit when you immigrate this comes in as personal chattels for VAT purposes...  But if you then Sell it rapido like then VAT may be due upon it depending upon how long you have held it...  There may be guidance about this specificly,  but I suspect it will come down to a decision by HMRC based upon the individual case. (Yachts are a bit clearer for this...)

If you had purchased the gear in the UK then you would have paid VAT upon purchasing it... If I go to the states on holiday and buy some gear then I am liable for VAT and duty upon return...

So,  you could declare this equipment to HMRC and pay the VAT due,  and then be free to sell it without any encumbrance...  But of course this will still be a US import and not a EU bit of kit... Ie it will be considered a Grey import by a lot of retailers...  OR....  You could sell it privately and not worry about it... OR... You could just part ex it to another dealer who might be less fussy..  Especially if you don't bother going into the history...

btw... Keep the receipts for any gear you buy here,  and then claim back the vat when you move back to the states..

imho there is no point in you paying the VAT and duty if this is a personal chattel of yours... Just sell it privately... I have bought plenty of gear used without any thought as to provinence... I just bought a lens from a very good dealer,  and I have zero idea if it's EU or not...   If otoh you have bought the gear in the states with the express idea about making profit by reselling it into a more expensive market ... Then the VAT and duty are due.

-- hide signature --

www.pageonephotography.co.uk
Striving hard to be the man that my dog thinks I am.

NottsPhoto's gear list:NottsPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic GH5 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow