Keep my new 50LF1.2 or return it for a 50mmArt ?!?

Started Jul 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,691
Re: Keep my new 50LF1.2 or return it for a 50mmArt ?!?

I own the 50L which seemed to be giving me issues so I put a 50A on order about a month ago.  In the mean time I go up off my rear end last weekend and final used my copy of FoCal and did a AFMA adjustment on my 50L, 85L II and 35L. Interesting they came out +7, +2, and +7 on the first pass of my 5D III. From what I can tell I'm now getting much better image on all of them. Was surprised most by the 35L since I was really happy with its results and didn't expect that it needed any adjustment at all. Also none of these seemed to need adjustment on my 5D II.

Got notified yesterday by B&H that my 50A shipped and will be here on Monday.  Took almost a month to come in. Now I'll have to compare them against each other to see if what I'll keep.

Also I will end up comparing my collection 50mm or their equivalents on my other platforms to see how they all stack up. I have the Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 for the Sony A7R, the Zeiss ZM 1,5/50 and 2,0/50 that I use on my Zeiss Ikon but I'll mount them on the Sony for this test. Then their are the 35mm and 32mm I have for my XF mount and my old Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.4 which was the first 50 that got me to fall in love with this focal length. DxO claims the 55mm when combined with the A7R should resolve better than the 50A on the 5D III but we'll see.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow