jeff hladun
jeff hladun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,104
Re: Joie de vivre

fad wrote:

fad wrote:

xtoph wrote:

fad wrote:

xtoph wrote:

obviously a nice moment, though i think ideally i might have picked focus on the far subject.

An interesting thought. Do you mind sharing your reasoning?

while it often doesn't work, i find that when focussing on someone interesting behind the obvious subject can make a really strong picture. in this case, judging after the fact, it looks like that would have worked; the second woman is more engaging.

As a practical matter, I could not see either of them clearly enough to have aimed the focus on either face. I just let AF do what it will in the the 3 seconds before they pulled away.

that's pretty much why i prefer manual focus, in a nutshell.

So, if I were to purchase a M240 or two and some lenses and spend a year getting used to the system, and gave up all the shots that my gear is better suited for, and if the sporting ladies would have noticed the smaller more discrete camera, and reacted the same way, I might have had a stronger image --if I had thought to take advantage of the MF to focus in a counter intuitive fashion.

Hmmm. i actually think you may be right.

In the meantime, I've pre-ordered the D810. People are hoping it will be stronger with MF.

The point you raise, whether it applies to this shot or not, is important. Even with dslar's there are time when MF is superior. It's a shame that dslr's are not set up for good MF through the OVF.

I actually used a variant of your idea today. If it works out, I'll post it.

It's a great shot Frank; having a more accurate focus would have improved the picture, but only marginally.

It's not the difference between a rangefinder or dslr that's the issue with manual focus, it's the lack of depth-of-field markings on zoom lenses and many af prime lenses that's the problem. Learn to use the DoF markings on a prime. It helps if you shoot at a stopped down aperture as it lengthens the depth of the field. Also, as you surely know, the shorter the focal length, the greater the depth range of in-focus elements there will be, relative to longer focal lengths, given the same distance-to-subject and aperture.

It's the reason I prefer the 28mm over the 35mm. On my lens there is a tab on the focus ring. I know that when it's set at 5 o'clock, focus is sharp between 3 feet and infinity at f/8; when the tab is at 6 o'clock, it's good for between 2 1/2 feet and 8 ft.. It doesn't get much simpler than that! It's why, for the wider prime lenses, manual focus is quicker than auto...focus can be set even before bringing the camera to the eye.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow