D810 for birds
Hi guys, I just placed an order for the 810. I am totally new to FF, coming from my previous D7100. So I have a few questions to those who also shoot birds with the 800 or 800e.
My lens for bird is the AF-s 80-400. I am definitely not going to upgrade this to the 500mm or another tele. Considering the expected advanced new features of the new 810 for birding (buffer, AF, low light etc.) plus the obvious advantage of ISO over the D7100, I have decided to make the upgrade. Still, because of the limited range of the 80-400 in FF compared to DX, I will most probably shoot in either 1.2 or 1.5 crop modes. That will result in 480 0r 600mm reach, or 670 and 840mm respectively with my 1.4TC. So far so good.
1. will these settings affect too badly the ISO performance of the camera, especially when I need to crop in PP, which one must almost always do in bird photography? This is asked because I will need to increase the ISO up to ca. 1500 at times when using the TC on the lens (f/8).
2. Using my old (and loved) 16-85 VR in DX mode will retain its I.Q. (which I quite like very much for landscapes) as it had performed on my D7100 - or perhaps will it add to its I.Q. considering the overall better I.Q of the 810 over the D7100? Same question regarding my Nikkor 10.5 fisheye, Nikkor 35 DX and Tokina 12-24 DX.
Thanks a bunch for your good advice and patience.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%