Keep my new 50LF1.2 or return it for a 50mmArt ?!?

Started Jul 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nicollino Junior Member • Posts: 31
Keep my new 50LF1.2 or return it for a 50mmArt ?!?

Hey lads,

Not post much but always reading the forum. Today I need your help!

After a long time hesitating I have decided to take the plunge for a 5d Mark 3 and a 50mm L 1.2 (to complete a forthcoming 70-200 2.8 Is 2). I received these 2 last week and I have 10 more days to test it. The toss up was between the Canon 50 mm L lens and the new 50mm Art from Sigma.

What made me go for the canon was 1) its size, being more compact (I intend to use it pretty much everyday) and yet very well built, 2) the slightly faster lens(F 1.2 vs F1.4 - I love shooting below F2) and the weather sealing (again for everyday use).

Today I ran it through different tests and what I had known before my purchase was “cruelly" showing on my screen : the softness at very large aperture. I can easily see the Sigma 50 Art outperforming the Canon 50L on that matter. I have to say that I don’t mind so much about the vignetting, and I actually like the dreamier bokeh of the Canon when used in real conditions but the result of these tests show me the truth of that lens : yes the bokeh is beautifully creamy but woow that lens is pretty soft when wide open.

My question is for those who own the Canon 50L and those who own or have owned both that lens and the Sigma 50 Art. What do you think of the performance of my lens from these tests? Is it particularly soft compared to yours? Is it common and what I should expect from that lens?

Unfortunately I can’t run the same tests for the sigma lens as I don't own it but from what I heard and saw from numerous reviews, it is much sharper. Do you think I should return the lens and get instead a 50mm Art or should I ignore these tests on the basis that in real life, the lack of sharpness wide open is not something that should make you want to swap?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Nicollino.

Canon 5D Mark III + Canon 50mm L F1.2 @ F1.2, Iso 200, 1/800 (tripod)

Canon 5D Mark III + Canon 50mm L F1.2 @ F1.4, Iso 200, 1/640 (tripod)

Canon 5D Mark III + Canon 50mm L F1.2 @ F2, Iso 200, 1/320 (tripod)

Nicollino's gear list:Nicollino's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow