Tamron 150-600

Started Jun 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,051
Re: In the field

jthommo101 wrote:

the Tamron acquits itself well. As a former Bigma owner, and current Canon 100-400 owner I have found the Tammy better than both. It focuses quickly and accurately (on the Canon system, at least) and is quite sharp at 600mm wide open - which is where most people would have it set, I expect. Indeed, it is as sharp at 600mm as the Canon is at 400 and it blows the Bigma away.

Out of the camera the pictures are quite flat, they lack punchy colour and contrast; one press of the "auto" button LR seems to fix that.

It is long enough to make using it with a full frame camera an option and on a 70D is 900mm equivalent. One of there days I'll give it a go with my 1.4x extender, but I won't expect miracles...

it is a fairly hefty unit, but nothing like the big Canon lenses. Then again it doesn't perform like them either. But for the price it is, IMO, the best long lens around.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Thanks for that, but @ 600mm how is it at F8 and F11?  the bigma is downright soft at F6.3 and takes till F8 to be sharp, F9 is a tad better equaling F11!

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow