>>> Street Photography eXchange #105 <<<

Started Jun 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
h2odog
h2odog Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Re: >>> Links Detachment and humanity

shutterbud wrote:

fad wrote:

All creativity requires some degree of emotional detachment. Without this detachment we cannot see the unusual connections that make successful art possible. I was discussing this today with my cousin who is a jazz musician and painter. We all know the poet who was shocked by HCB's detachment when shooting in the US and the concentration camp photos that made George Rogers give up war photography because his own impersonal detachment from the human horror (to which we are all indebted for its photographic witness) made him think he was a bad as the Nazis.

You can't shoot good street, or anything creative, without a healthy dose of this detachment.

How this affects personal relationships and one's sense of self is way beyond the pay grade of Internet discussions. And the claim that this detachment exploits other people unethically cannot be accepted unless one wants to put an end to human creativity, and thus all human progress. For one thing, there would be no saints. Our creative detachment become our generosity, our gift to humanity, the gift of artistic representation, communication and exploration.

But there is a very concrete and practical consideration. When our art becomes purely cold and analytical, the power of our art is compromised. The greatest artists --Shakespeare, Rembrandt, HCB, --learn how to navigate these waters and bridge the human and the creative sphere. They shatter us with the force of that bridging.

Thus we have to leave room in our photos for the viewer to have empathy and identification, or our work will not be as powerful as it could be. And because we tend to detach, if we are any good, we need to do this quite consciously.

This is my argument.

Any thoughts?

I just take pictures. I learned a long time ago that 'deep thoughts' do very little good.

Amen to that, brother!

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow