Aperture ending - blessing in disguise?
I'm processing my first big job in LR having dabbled in it until now and having been an Aperture user since day 1.
Things that I can't do in LR (correct me if I'm wrong please, I'm a semi new user to LR). This is not meant to be an end-all, be-all analysis, just some impressions so far:
- I can't duplicate adjustments, e.g. I often dupe the curves adjustment and have two - I can in Aperture. In Aperture, any adjustment could be duplicated and used again. For instance you could have 5 or 6 curves adjustments if you like, and they could be full image or local adjustments.
- I can't use the brush tool on any adjustment, only in the set of adjustments offered in the loacl adjustments area. In Aperture I could use the brush anywhere (except in the raw adjustments panel)
- Aperture had a nice skin smoothing tool, in LR I've been using negative clarity and negative sharpness, brushed on, to approximate the same thing. I think this is probably the best way, not sure.
- Blur tool. LR equiv is what, negative sharpening?
- color panel has no eye-dropper to select a color form the image itself.
What I like about LR so far
- perspective correction (didn't exist in Aperture)
- split toning adjustment
- clarity adjustment is nice
- sharpening is better
- noise reduction is better
What I don't like so far:
- speed, it's slower on my Mac for sure
- in color adjustments, there's no eye-dropper to select a color from image (as stated above)
- inability to duplicate adjustments
- inability to brush on curves adjustment
- the "Library" vs "Develop" thing. Aperture was much cleaner and less kludgy here
- overall interface, LR seems "designed by committee" , kind of a swiss-army knife approach.... vs Aperture's more thoughtful and efficient design. I may change my opinion on this as time goes on with more experience.
- the email image function doesn't use the native (Mac in my case) email app.
Capture One Pro is another one to evaluate. I have it and generally like it (the adjustment layers are very, very nice) but I think it needs a version 8 to include better integration with 3rd party tools and things like email and such.
|Red umbrella by Jose Olivares|
from Black + White +1
|Scary Santa by Phillipvz|
from annual bad Santa photo challenge
|Honey, I'm Home!! by cbg1951|
from A Big Year - birds
|Lake freezes by Kaappo|
from -The Frozen Lake- ( In Full Colours Only)