Something Big Is Coming From Canon (And It Will Ship in October)

Started Jun 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Veteran Member • Posts: 8,801
Re: OK, Karl, now back it up with examples

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:
and am having a lot of trouble finding these "horrible artifacts" that you refer to.

It's about the aliasing, lack of proper demosaicing algorithms (again Fuji has detached themselves from the main stream software development for no benefit at all) and lack of spatial resolution in the red and blue channel as the irregular gaps due to the XTrans arrangement are a hurdle for a decent edge detecting demosaicing to close them.
There may not be a classical moiree problem but the green channel exhibits quite a lot of aliasing and if your patterns are not aligning properly with their filter array (contrary to their example) like in feather or fur structures then the aliasing along the edges will drive me nuts... I tried to see if that development is worthwhile but unless the sensor in a 7DII is in excess of 100Mp then the XTrans has too big deficits to be useful...
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Stepping back from theory and into reality, Karl, I've done a ton of comparison testing between LR and Iridient Developer (supposedly one of the best for X-Trans), and at least with the latest version of LR, even heavy green coloration (foliage) with fine detail is rendered very well in both applications.  This has been problematic in the past with LR, however, it's all a matter of Adobe going to the trouble of dealing with the characteristics of a different sensor, not so much a fatal issue in the design of the sensor itself.  So far, I have seen nothing that the X-T1 has captured that is inferior in any way to what my 7D would have done under identical circumstances.  I actually much prefer Fuji's color rendition, as do many others.  I think you might be dealing with old and obsolete information here and suggest you do your own testing with up to date tools before making these sorts of incorrect and blanket statements.

Either way, I seriously doubt that Canon would hand off their sensor development to Fuji.  They're more than capable of innovating on their own (the 70D's sensor being a perfect example of that).  Both companies are doing some great work and it will be interesting to see where they go.  Unlike you, apparently, I have a strong appreciation for the innovation coming from both companies.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow