Loss of GPS in the NEW A77II

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,065
Re: In camera GPS convenient but incomplete

Allan Olesen wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

It will update the clock.. I doubt very much it updates the timezone.

When I travel to another timezone, my a77 automatically set the time to the local time.

Curious how it calculates this, and how accurate it is in some areas near zones etc.

That would involve the storing and updating of detailed geographical boundaries etc.

If it does not have this information, it will not be able to set the time to local time.

The camera requires you to set the time yourself the first time according to the manual.  SO my assumption was and it would work.. that it would easily correct small drifts in time without knowing timezone.. but since some people have confirm it does this cool

GPS uses UTC time..

Yes, but irrelevant here. We are talking about the time which is stored in EXIF and shown in the camera.

Not irrelevant.. as a matter of fact I can see many reasons to encode UTC.  Can I keep the camera from changing time zone on me?

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow