Loss of GPS in the NEW A77II

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,101
Re: In camera GPS convenient but incomplete

cplunk wrote:

Been there and done that, much prefer the A77 / A99 in camera GPS.

These only work as well as the clocks are sync'd, which becomes an issue especially if you are moving fast enough.

So if you get one of these GPS loggers, make sure you have a way to sync the camera time with it.

And if you go to the other side of the world and don't update the timezone, it gets interesting. With the GPS on the A77 / A99, the timezone updates itself, and sets the clock.

It will update the clock.. I doubt very much it updates the timezone. That would involve the storing and updating of detailed geographical boundaries etc. GPS uses UTC time.. infact the GPX log files are all encoded in UTC with a simple time zone offset in the file that can be edited say if you updated your camera time zone but then didn't update your GPS timezone. Then you change one number and import the file.

When I start using a GPS device.. I will probably just set my camera time to UTC and call it good.  I am not ready to shoot globally even if doing so from a fast moving jet crossing over AZ or Indian..

There is a good article here about it.. http://mulita.com/blog/?p=4516

On the other hand... phone based GPS can pull TIME zone off the cell tower network IF you have a phone service account which you don't need to use the GPS.

I totally understand why and how some people use GPS and that is important.  But is it important enough to adapt.. Sony should offer an ugly GPS add on like Canon and Nikon..  but I wouldn't touch it because the alternatives are better.

FACT based on everything I know in the camera market.

We will all be upgrading to DSLR Style cameras without GPS.. its not built in on any new models that I can see.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow