Loss of GPS in the NEW A77II

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,544
Now we know the answer

Allan Olesen wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

SLT (and mirrorless especially) already have less battery life than a traditional DSLR. So if I am on travel and need to conserve battery guess what gets turned off first. the GPS...

In the Canon 6D, the GPS is turned on, even when the camera is off. It will drain the battery in 5 days.

It is true that the Canon 6D will leave the GPS running even when you turn the camera off. However you can go into the menus and disable it, and that turns it off completely. You can make a custom menu setting for easier access to turn it on or off, which is not the best possible way to do things, but much more convenient than the regular menu. In any case you can disable the Canon 6D GPS.

Are you sure you understood the point of my example?

A 6D with GPS constantly turned on gives us some numbers for the battery drain from an in-camera GPS. That it can be turned off is irrelevant for those numbers.

Okay, I understand, I was just saying that the fact that the 6D does have GPS that stays on when it's shut off doesn't mean it can't be disabled entirely. A spare battery wouldn't be that big of a deal - to ME, I'm not you or anyone else.

I have the Canon GPS that fits into the hotshoe of my 7D and while it won't drain the battery of the camera, it sure makes the camera even bigger!

Now I know why Sony removed GPS. So they can rip us off with another expensive accessory soon to me introduced!!!!!
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow