Something Big Is Coming From Canon (And It Will Ship in October)

Started Jun 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: Something Big Is Coming From Canon (And It Will Ship in October)

Jerry-astro wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

The big question for Canon, can they survive without the 7DmkII?

Is that a serious question? Really? How much of their revenue do you think comes from that one model? Enough to threaten their entire business? If you believe that, I have some prime Nevada real estate I'd like to chat with you about.

If I were Canon, I'd be a lot more worried about the future of the DSLR itself, say 3-4 years downstream. Many will disagree, but I believe its days are numbered and the higher volume, lower end segments will be the most threatened IMHO. It will continue to live on the basis of pure momentum (lens collections), but that will only delay their inevitable replacement with smaller and lower cost systems. Sorry for the pontification... not trying to highjack the thread.

I can certainly see the replacement of the majority of DSLRs with smaller systems but I doubt they will be any cheaper. With the almost inevitable future reduction in volumes of system cameras, whether smaller or not, as the mass market abandons them for phones and superzooms and the possibility of some culling within the remaining manufacturers, I suspect prices will actually rise.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow