D800 crop mode

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
KSV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
Re: D800 crop mode

Dr Bob wrote:

KSV wrote:

Terrance Vacha wrote:

What really happens with the resolution when a FF camera is used in DX mode? Is the photo taken in FF and then down sampled to get to DX? Or are the outer pixels on the FF sensor ignored in DX mode? My guess would be the latter.

Your guess is right and IMHO cropped mode useless to start with - one always can crop in PP and can for example achieve 1:1 ratio without loosing sides.

KSV, No, wrong again. Crop mode is not useless. I sometimes go to crop mode shooting BIF if I need extra fps and a quicker buffer. The 800 is a bit limiting in fps (but only a bit) and crop mode helps in the odd case where it is needed. I set up my 800E for a one button/one wheel action change to crop mode.

Andy - use proper tool for proper job. If you need faster FPS then you can find plenty of DSLR on market that can do much faster then D800. Using D800 in crop mode is like buying Ferrari and never drive it faster then 40 km/hr. I would understand when you need fast FPS very occasionally and make a use of DX mode to speed it up. But if you need it constantly you definitely need other tool. FWIF I have D700 for number of years and remember using DX only once wham I bought it, just out of curiocity. Why I would buy expensive FX model and use it like much cheaper DX one? IMHO defy purpose.

Though whatever rocks your boat.

KSV's gear list:KSV's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow