Loss of GPS in the NEW A77II

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,280
Re: The myth of the battery hungry GPS once again!

Allan Olesen wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

GPS being left turned on and actually being actively used could be two different things. If the GPS on my phone is being used it drains the battery in 2-3 hours where my phone normally lasts 2 full days.

And I have a GPS logger which can log continuously for 15-20 hours on a battery which is much smaller than the battery in my camera.

So I think we should forget about anecdotal evidence from GPS enabled non-camera hardware.

I don't know how much battery the GPS drains when its being actively used in A77 vs. when not used at all. If you have that metric I will happily stand corrected.

I don't. I have never experienced any difference which was so significant that I bothered to test it more precisely. I just keep the GPS on.

Again, only anecdotal, but IMO, the GPS does use significant battery power. Once when using it to mark the location of several mantis ootheca, it drained the battery more quickly than on my usual outings.  Maybe I should have just left it on continuously.  It probably uses more power when you turn the GPS off & back on since it then has to re-acquire a satellite lock.

Also, if you turn the LCD inward, it will save significant battery power.

-- hide signature --

Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow