a6000 besting a7 for lowlight street photography thanks to AF superiority?

Started Jun 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Angrymagpie
Angrymagpie Contributing Member • Posts: 636
a6000 besting a7 for lowlight street photography thanks to AF superiority?

Choosing between a6000 & a7,

I am interested in street photography, and the environment I'd like to document is usually very dark (little to no street light from time to time, streets are mostly illuminated by cars & lights from the buildings).

I know that a7 is FF so has a better low-light performance. But I've been reading about its relatively unimpressive AF ability in low light. This makes me wonder, comparing a7 + 35 f2.8 (or 55 f1.8, or even kit), would I be better off with a6000 + 35 f1.8 oss?

I am aware that AF limitation can be overcome with MF, but I haven't master such a skill yet and it would be pity if I keep missing shots due to poor lowlight AF performance.

To give you an idea about the type of environment I usually shoot in, here are two pics I just snapped with my RX100, jpeg unprocessed (scaled down), ISO3200, f1.8, 1/15, FL28mm

By the way, I wonder if either a6000 or a7 would allow me to snap photos in similar conditions at similar setting but with shutter speed at 1/400 upwards?

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow