Would the G1x MKII be good for me?

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277
Re: Ordered!

chicoes wrote:

This would be the first time I spend $800 on a camera. I do wish though that they had used a newer sensor. I would feel bad if in a year or two, they would come up with a new G series and an updated newer sensor

Canon has said that this is a new sensor in the G1X-II that has been optimized for the G1X-II lens. (Whatever that means) It happens to have the same pixel pitch as the previous generation, since apparently Canon decided that was the sweet spot between resolution and high ISO noise. But in their history brochure, they make a point of saying that it is a new sensor.

I know they added faster readout circuitry and probably angled the outer micro lenses out to avoid so much vignetting at the 24mm end with the lens being so close to the sensor. Light would enter from a very low angle and be lost unless the micro lenses were corrected.

Please enjoy your new G1X-II. I just love mine! It was expensive, but I think it is worth it, both from the picture quality and the enjoyment of using it.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow