Would the G1x MKII be good for me?

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
crashpc Veteran Member • Posts: 6,696
Re: Ordered!

Hello.

Hope you like it. Pocketability may be not totally lost with RX100, As I thought it will. I jumped down from Canon SL1 to EOS M, and while it still is big and sometimes deserve bag for my 50mm f/1.4 lens, it´s worth to have that small pocketable setup with pancake prime. Not so with SL1. Powershot G1X will also be heavier, but I still believe that you´ll be rewarded by greater sensor and fast lens with pretty ideal universal focal lenght range. Keep in mind that except your personal taste, you´d make good choice anyway. Both RX100 and G1X II are beasts. Not just ordinary cams.

For low light situations, Canon clearly wins at higher ISOs. At lower ISOs it still has the same noise performance as RX100 even when image size is normalized. That sharpness thing is (still painful) only JPEG engine problem. Once you´ll shoot raw, you´ll not be disapponted compared to Sony. Canon has great edge sharpness (also even when normalized) and won´t be smitten by any cam around.

And don´t fall in buyers remorse. You needed your cam now, and any future cam cannot deliver this. So if anything better comes, you couldn´t do anything about it, and of course you can sell yours later and jum on new one if it´s significantly better, which I doubt.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow