Anyone finding the huge raw files a pain on the 800?

Started Jun 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
KSV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
Re: Bigger is not always better. N'ough said

Unfortunately the benchmarks don't agree with your P4 vs i7 comment. Look at the top line and the bottom line, enough said.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

There are limits, of course but Moore's Law has held up fairly well since the term was coined and processors are getting faster every year. The software we run takes advantage of the new hardware, and it's clearly noticeable (to me) in some things I do. My desktop is much faster than my laptop, and when I use Photoshop (especially with some plugins), the speed difference is massive.

-- hide signature --

Frankly I do not care what labs bench tests do - I do know that certain stored procedures run faster on the same databases on P4 setup. Multiprocessor is great invention, but unfortunately they does not work well in each and every situation. Processors became fight each other for resources (memory been main one) and in single (or few) thread environment single processor with higher CPU rate will beat dust out of multiprocessor core with lower CPU clock. Memory clock is vital and in multi-core environment it get tendency to be slower. Certainly some software if written properly can make use of multiprocessor environment by launching massive number of threads achieving high level of parallelism, but unfortunately not all tasks can be done in such way.

KSV's gear list:KSV's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
xtm
(unknown member)
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow