Anyone finding the huge raw files a pain on the 800?

Started Jun 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
PhotoKaz
PhotoKaz Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: Bigger is not always better. N'ough said

KSV wrote:

PhotoKaz wrote:

KSV wrote:

PhotoKaz wrote:

wasserball wrote:

for that reason, I bought the D600 instead.

So what are you going to do in 10 years when the lowest MP value is 85?

It never happens - there is always will be niche for low-count high-ISO sensors. Also pros shooting sports and alike always will demand high FPS and just shifting above 1 GB around in less then a second is huge challenge. 1GB will be roughly 6 frames at suggested 85MP sensor.

"It never happens"

Never is a long time, Not long ago we had 0.3 megapixel cams. Don't see anyone asking for those.

4k monitors will be standard soon. Printing is getting better, pixel counts are going up, processors getting faster, hard drives bigger. 1GB in a second will be trivial 10 years from now given the pace of progress.

We shall see. Sometimes there are limits impose by physics. For example we do not see any speakable processor advantages for quite a few years. I still run workstation on P4 and it will beat dust out of my laptop with i7 when things came to database crunching. And do you remember what it was in late 90 and early 00? So it looks like we very close to boundary and if we like to make faster processors we need to go to completely different technologies.

Unfortunately the benchmarks don't agree with your P4 vs i7 comment. Look at the top line and the bottom line, enough said.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

There are limits, of course but Moore's Law has held up fairly well since the term was coined and processors are getting faster every year.  The software we run takes advantage of the new hardware, and it's clearly noticeable (to me) in some things I do.  My desktop is much faster than my laptop, and when I use Photoshop (especially with some plugins), the speed difference is massive.

-- hide signature --
 PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
xtm
(unknown member)
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow