Started Jun 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Noah Truth
Noah Truth Regular Member • Posts: 210
Upgrading from m4/3 to FF, help me decide between the 6D and a99

My primary requirements:

1) Articulating screen

2) Good video quality (1080/60p is a plus)

3) Fast/accurate AF (in low light)

4) IQ

Coming from the m43 realm, I will be selling all of my lenses and building a collection from scratch. I do, however, have three vintage Nikkor lenses (non-AF) that I would like to use. I know the a99 probably has a clear advantage over the 6D w/ focus peaking.

Honestly, if the Canon had an articulating screen I would probably purchase the 6D with little hesitation. Although I really like the IBIS and focus peaking abilities of the a99.

As far as the EVF, I'm not really married to that technology. It's been nice to have but I definitely see why people prefer OVF.

My main concern with the a99 is video quality. I keep hearing about aliasing and rolling shutter issues with the Sony. Coming from Panasonic GH cameras, I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to video and I really want a camera that can record decent quality. I feel like the a99 is good but other than 1080/60p, probably won't compare to a 6D with Magic Lantern. Am I correct in this assumption?

Lastly, can anyone comment on AF with third-party lenses? I don't plan on purchasing any Sony gear until I can afford the native Zeiss planar lenses. Until then, it will be mostly Sigma and Tamron. I realize you can't utilize all the AF functions w/ third party glass but is AF speed still fast and accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow