Anyone finding the huge raw files a pain on the 800?

Started Jun 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
mlewan Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Re: Anyone finding the huge raw files a pain on the 800?

Craig wrote:

I shoot weddings and have a d700 and D3s and I convert the files to DNG since I take way over 1000 shots for most weddings.

I can't imagine dealing with files that are 7,8 times each larger than my 12 MP cameras.

The new 810 may be temping for me to finally say good by to my D700 if the features on it are to my liking.

Or I was thinking about a good used D4

Yes, it can be a pain in the neck, but it depends on what you want to achieve.

I would love to have all my photos stored locally on my laptop, or at least as many of them as possible. There is no way I could store all of my D800 photos. They are scattered on external harddisks and partly replicated in Lightroom.

Cost is no issue to me - not for this. However, time and convenience are. Over and over again I am abroad with my laptop and would like to show people this or that photo that only exists on a harddisk I left at home. I try replicating low res versions in Lightroom and sometimes forget doing it, sometimes the link between the Lightroom version and the original are lost, and sometimes I just bang my head against the wall, because that is more fun.

In many situations, the D800 is of course essential for the job. I love using it. I adore the level of detail. However, often when I can get away with it, I use DX mode or a Nikon 1 to get files of decent size.

Processing time is not that big an issue to me. However, if I had a habit of taking 50 photos of the same scene and wanted to compare them pixel by pixel to choose the best one, I would probably go nuts.

For people who already have a workflow that depends on stacks of external harddisks, and who accept this as one of life's usual little annoyances, I suspect the size of D800 FX files will not be any problem. Many of the replies in this thread seem to corroborate this.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
xtm
(unknown member)
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow