Newer Canon 50 1.2L Lenses

Started Jun 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rickmessina Regular Member • Posts: 170
Newer Canon 50 1.2L Lenses

Hello All,

This is my first time posting in this forum, but Im not new to photography. I am avid Canon user and love my 6D and now new 5D mark iii. My current lens lineup includes the 70-200 2.8L IS USM (mark 1), Sigma 35 art, Canon 100 macro (non L) and 85 1.2LII. I absolutely love all of those lenses. I do miss using a 50mm lens though. I owned briefly two 50L lenses but ended up returning them due to being very soft wide open (which is very important to me). Another photographer I work with often owns and uses the 50L all the time. His version is very sharp wide open. His is new and the two I tried were 5 years old. I am curious if that is normal for there to be so much variation with the 50L? There are many reviews out there that say buy other lenses, but I happen to be a big fan of the 50L. I think the way it renders is beautiful. I recently got the Sigma 50 Art, but in all honesty it is too big and heavy for me to use all day long (we do weddings, engagements and family shoots). I used it briefly last night (1-2 hours) and it was already feeling heavy and would rather not use it all day at a wedding.

There is currently a $200 rebate on the 50L. Has anyone out there purchased this lens recently? Are the newer lenses indeed sharper than older versions? (again a lot written on the matter, some say yes, some no) I have tried to save money by looking for a used one but twice have been less than happy with it. I am now debating purchasing it brand new. I would love to hear anyones experience with the newer lens. Even though this is my first time posting here, I often visit this forum and appreciate all the experience shared. Thanks to all in advance.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Rick
www.rickmessina.com

www.facebook.com/RickMessinaPhotography

rickmessina's gear list:rickmessina's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow