Anyone finding the huge raw files a pain on the 800?

Started Jun 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,970
A little bit, yes

I shoot raw, lossless compressed, and typical have 45mb file sizes.   That gets bigger when you edit the files with ViewNX2 or CaptureNX2.

CaptureNX2 is definitely slower dealing with those files.  (I have 16GB of RAM, quad core PC to deal with it).   Lightroom is much much faster, but I struggle to learn Lightroom processing.

On the storage end, I bought a D800e at about the time that my NAS was filling up.   Several months of D800e files pushed it to full, so I built another NAS, this time with 4TB of space.   Storage space is a periodic issue for most of us, but nothing really unusual or hard to overcome.

In your case, the post-processing speed seems like it would be the biggest issue.  If you have to process 1000 files a wedding (at least once per week?), yes, you'll probably be wishing you had a 24mp camera instead of a 36mp camera.   But you get addicted to that resolution pretty fast when you start pixel peeping or cropping.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
xtm
(unknown member)
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow