Monopod suggestions for Bird Photography

Started Jun 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
SrinathPreddy
OP SrinathPreddy Regular Member • Posts: 345
Re: Monopod suggestions for Bird Photography

hotdog321 wrote:

I've been using a Gitzo monopod as a photojournalist for decades. Get a tilt head (NOT a ball head!!!) for the monopod and make sure it is tall enough (with head) that you don't have to crouch. Don't be tempted to cheap out. This is a one-time purchase that will last you the rest of your life.

Absolutely, positively, get a good quick release plate. Also think about getting an identical release system for your tripod so your gear can be switched out without headaches. I've used the Manfrotto hexagonal plates for as long as I've used the monopod and they still fit like new.

I've used--and still use--this setup with a 300 f/2.8 + 2X and even the massive 400 f/2.8 + 2X and 600 f/4 for sports, spot news, birding, etc.

Thanks for the inputs hotdog321.

Since you have first hand experience with Monopod, Tilt Head and QR Plates, could you pl suggest something which would be ideal for my set up and use.

-- hide signature --

Cheers!!!
Srinath.

SrinathPreddy's gear list:SrinathPreddy's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow