15mm 1.7 is much sharper than the 17mm 1.8!

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
traveler_101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: On the contrary

javayoda wrote:

Although I think my "temporary" 15 was sharper wide open than some reviews suggest (at least compared to the 17), it's probably pretty close for the non-pixel peepers out there. I was hoping for better but that's an age-old story. Nevertheless, I think there's something to say for how sharp it is stopped down. I happen to think 15mm is a perfectly usable focal length for landscapes. This is where it will really shine vs the 17mm.

Don't get me wrong, I've taken a lot of photos with the Olympus and, despite the usual nit picking, I think it's a fine lens.

Yes, i'm sure they are both good. You're right about the 15 for landscape/cityscape and architecture. Being a bit wider than the 17 will be better. 30mm equivalent; that's pretty close to the classic wide angle for architecture at 28mm. Hope they send you a good example this time!

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow