New Dp2 Quattro (beta) samples~~~~ Locked

Started Jun 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 19,881
Re: Not bad but ...

Scott Greiff wrote:

<...>

Well, Kendall, to be fair there is a good amount of churn in and out of the Sigma fold.

Churn is natural.  But so too is moving on when someone is are leaving a system, and in some cases that does not seem to happen.

My general impression of the samples is that the detail is gorgeous, and indeed may well exceed anything else on the market. That said, I agree with Hulyss, these images might have lost that Foveon look.

In what way though?  I don't see it.  That closeup of the leaves has it for me, also that one of the flooded field at sunset...  and the building/bridge shots.  The only image that I see issues that doesn't look "foveon" to me is that bark/grass image, which would worry me mere if there were not other foliage portions that looked great.

If others do think that quality is gone, I can respect that as the very term is a subjective impression - but it would be good to understand what they are seeing across all the images that they think could have been "more foveon" as it were.

In the particular case of HBowman, he has been drumming out these very negative messages for weeks now with great regularity well before we had any sample images at all.  Thats why I am dubious of his claims, motives and conclusions when he says that the images have lost what he claimed would be lost before he ever saw them.

Note you say the images MIGHT have lost the look - you are willing to wait for more examples to make a judgement. HBowman made his judgement long ago.

The reason I asked what happened to him, is that he used to be harsh at times but fair - it's the fairness I see missing now, replaced by a dedicated message of gloom.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow