Will these work on the A77II

Started Jun 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: Will these work on the A77II

They should work just fine. The main problem with older Minolta AF lenses is that they are more prone to flare than modern lenses, but that shouldn't be a problem if you watch out for how you're shooting. The other issue is they use screw drive motors which can be slower than SAM driven lenses and are definitely slower than SSM driven lenses, but all current and older Sony SLT and DSLR cameras can still use screw drive lenses with AF.

The original A77 (and as far as I know A77ii) featured DMF (direct manual focus) as an AF mode. Basically with this enabled, you half press the shutter to AF and then can turn the focus ring on the lens to adjust focus manually. This feature also gives you focus peaking with AF, whereas normally it's only available for manual focus. DMF is compatible with screw drive and SSM lenses which is an added benefit to using screw drive lenses like Minolta AF primes and zooms.

Going with one of the Minolta 50mm (either f/1.7 or f/1.4 versions) is a common first prime for a lot of Sony users.

I've actually been in the market for the 135mm f/2.8 for the past couple of weeks and have a copy arriving tomorrow to have a look at. I could probably give some more feedback on that by the end of the week.

If you haven't purchased an A77ii yet, I would strongly consider getting it with the 16-50mm f/2.8 "kit" lens. It's built like a tank, has an SSM motor, and great IQ. It's probably the best standard zoom for APS-C that Sony makes and is about $200 cheaper when bought as a kit.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow