My review: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df

Started Jun 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,812
Re: My review: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df

sgoldswo wrote:

stuartgolden wrote:

Full frame this, SLR that. For me what it comes down to is what would you want to lug around all day around your neck.

For me - the left wins!

Odd choice in lenses don't you think? Try putting the 10-23 on the front of the X-T1 or the 16-85 on the front of the Df. Or even better the 35 on the X-T1 and the 50 F1.8G on the Df.

For me the Df ended up being the replacement for my X-Pro1. It's all about the sensor (not just high ISO, but the way it renders colours).

It's a very odd choice and an odd choice of bodies as well. The 14-24mm Nikkor deserves to be used with either the 24mp D3x or the 36mp D800 full frame bodies, shooting high resolution landscapes, not a Df that's better suited for fast sports action photos either the near-kit lens 28-85mm Nikkor or with a faster, larger lens like the 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor.

And why would the inexpensive 16-50mm kit lens that's included with the X-A1 be used for the comparison when the X-T1's kit lens is Fuji's 18-55mm? Maybe just to make a more lopsided comparison, putting a thumb on the comparison scale so to speak? Most X-T1 owners would be using Fuji's larger 18-55mm lens, not the 16-50mm kit lens

Both of Fuji's small kit lenses are fine walkabout lenses, while the special purpose extra-wide 14-24mm FX (Nikon's largest, most expensive wide angle zoom lens) isn't. If a point is going to be made about size and weight comparing Fuji vs Nikon, a more appropriate comparison would have been to choose a Nikon DX DSLR which uses a similar size APS-C sensor, and then the comparison might have been the D7100 DSLR (or any of many much smaller DSLRs) with either a large but more flexible kit lens (18-140mm) or to do what the OP did, pick the smallest kit lens that's supplied with some other DSLR, in this case Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens, which happens to be about the same size as Fuji's 16-50mm lens. But that wouldn't tell the same story, "Ooh, the DSLR is so much larger and heavier than my Fuji".

Bah, humbug!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow