camera/lens for indoor sports?

Started Jun 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Brian Gill Forum Member • Posts: 79
camera/lens for indoor sports?

I'm having difficulty identifying good options for shooting synchronized swimmers indoors, in which I need a camera (or camera/lens combination) with the following characteristics:

• Can shoot at least 5 frames per second
  • Can shoot 1080p video without overheating in a very warm indoor pool area
  • Can gather a substantial amount of light at a distance requiring a 35mm equivalent zoom of 150-200mm

I was struck by this chart of equivalent apertures on DPReview:

This suggests that the Sony a6000 with the 18-105mm constant f4 lens has substantially better capability at around 150mm than many other options. Indeed, I can't find anything to beat this combination for effective aperture at 150mm equivalent for less than $3000 (which is what it would take to get a Panasonic GH4 with the 35-100 f2.8 constant lens). The Sony with the 18-105mm lens fits my needs almost perfectly, and provides great value for the money--but I discovered that it overheats pretty quickly when shooting video in a toasty indoor pool environment.

Anybody have other suggestions? Is there any other camera--fixed lens or interchangeable lens--that can get close to the equivalent aperture of the Sony 18-105 lens at a reasonable price?

(also posted to sports/action photography forum)

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow