Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Just another Canon shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,691
Re: A picture is worth...

Anders W wrote:

Nice spin. Now, show me how the m43 cameras compare.

Neither necessary nor possible. I don't how comparable test shots suitable for the purpose. A DR difference is a DR difference. And my example shows what such differences imply. Simple as that.

"Your examples" show what 4x the difference can imply. Simple as that.

Noise can't be "blurred". It's not affected by the optical resolution. The E-M1 shows less noise.

Of course it can, it is called NR, which can be done after the demosaicing, or incorporated in the demoasicing algorithm. Shot noise is of Poisson type, even on a Bayer sensor. If we make it B&W for simplicity, it has a well defined structure and spectrum. Missing high frequencies with the low frequencies present is an evidence of blurring, or NR, or call it whatever you want.

Go to ISO 100. The deep blue square has more blurred borders compared to the others. Look at the 6D crop - no such thing.

The borders are a matter of resolution. Note what I already said about the E-M1 shot not being appropriate for judging resolution.

Resolution magically changes from one color to another? It is not impossible and it might be lens related, in principle, but combined with the predominantly low frequency noise in the deep blues is a very strong evidence of selective NR for that color. Lens aberrations cannot change the structure of the noise of a uniform target.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow