Will these work on the A77II

Started Jun 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,392
Good zooms

I use primes more than zooms, and an a99 more than my (dead) a77. But, I am planning to get the a77ii as both a backup for my a99, and to give me the advantages of a 24Mp APS sensor and all the AF goodness that comes with the a77ii. For zooms, my experience is:

Excellent:

• Sony 16-50/2.8
  • Tamron 70-300 USD
  • Minolta 70-210/4 (aka "beercan")

OK:

• Minolta 35-70/4 (aka "mini beercan")

The Sony is almost a no-brainer. On a a77ii the AF will be superb and the IQ of that lens is very good. The Tamron is a surprise gem, my guess is on the a77ii and daylight sports it will be hard to beat, certainly for the price. If you get a good condition beercan, where none of the elements have slipped out of alignment, you get (perhaps) the best bokeh of any zoom.

The mini-beercan can be had for $50 or so, and while not stellar it is at least "pretty good". It is quite small, which makes it easy to use and not be obnoxious.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow