Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: A picture is worth...

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Yeah, shot noise does not matter.

Not much at base ISO, no.

Much more than EV=0.6 difference in DR.

For those interested in seeing what difference DR makes when shadows are pushed, a look at the comparison between the D800 (with excellent base-ISO DR) and the 5D3 (with so-so base-ISO DR) is instructive:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

Nice spin. Now, show me how the m43 cameras compare.

Neither necessary nor possible. I don't how comparable test shots suitable for the purpose. A DR difference is a DR difference. And my example shows what such differences imply. Simple as that.

#2: Warmer tones: all FFs are better.

I don't see any difference having to do with signal-noise performance here.

I do.

What and where?

#3: FF better again, even the 6D in the blue color.

There is small difference in blue just as in case #1 above.

It is everywhere, not just in the blue color.

No.

The m43 shot is not detailed enough.

The E-M1 shot is not approrpriate for judging resolution. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the fact that the DPR studio scene samples for several MFT cameras are marred by shutter shock (shutter-induced blur).

You can blame the diffraction for that but the noise is also blurred.

No the noise is not blurred.

It is. In the lower left here, there is a low frequency noise but not much high frequency. Compare with same square for the other cams - about the same (high-freq) noise but much less low frequency one. The other colors behave differently.

Noise can't be "blurred". It's not affected by the optical resolution. The E-M1 shows less noise.

Go to ISO 100. The deep blue square has more blurred borders compared to the others. Look at the 6D crop - no such thing.

The borders are a matter of resolution. Note what I already said about the E-M1 shot not being appropriate for judging resolution.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow