Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: A picture is worth...

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Oh my God. Are you saying that you are still unaware that the f-stop and shutter speeds reported when you click on that "i" cannot be used to determine how much exposure a certain camera got since the light in the studio is not controlled and not kept constant?

Oh my God. Can't you read? I said "assuming the same lighting" a few posts ago.

My point is that this assumption is wrong as far as the DPR studio scene is concerned.

The only way you can compare different exposures when using the DPR studio scene is by varying the ISO.

Wrong. Different cameras have different auto-exposure algorithms, which depend on the AF points, etc. The deviation can be huge, just depending on where you focus.

DPR does not use the camera meter when shooting the studio scene.

What I pointed out that you will see the difference in quality in favor of the E-M1 if you push the shadows since shadow noise is perceptually evident. You won't see any difference in "tonality" or "elasticity". If you have an example to the contrary, please provide it.

Yeah, shot noise does not matter.

Not much at base ISO, no. As I said, if you have an example to the contrary, please provide it.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow