Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: A picture is worth...

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Anders W wrote:

No that was not a different thing. I corrected your mistake before you did. You didn't recognize that I was right (until later) and instead quibbled about my use of the term "EV" when correcting your error.

You still do not get it. You "corrected" me with a wrong argument. You were talking about ISO then. Switch to daylight. ISO the same, EV different. Get it?

I already got it. You didn't.

Exposure on those charts is all over the place,

Exposure on which charts? The DPR studio scene? The DPR studio scene is shot such that two cameras should receive the same exposure (same amount of light per area unit on the sensor) at the same camera ISO provided that they both pass the ISO test reported in the "noise and noise reduction" section without problem.

switch to daylight, and you cannot make them equal or different by 2 stops.

In the low light as well as daylight studio scene, you can see the results for different exposures by setting the ISO of the different cameras accordingly, just as I did.

And you are wrong. Here, same ISO, four different exposures. Yes or No? Do not spin it this time. Unless you check the SS and the aperture, you have not compared the EVs.

Now you are confusing EV with exposure. EV is determined by aperture and shutter speed. Exposure is determined by aperture, shutter speed, and scene luminance. Since scene luminance is not kept constant in this case, you cannot deduce exposure based on aperture and shutter speed. And it is the exposure we want to control when comparing the cameras. Get it?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow