Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started Jun 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: A picture is worth...

eyeswideshut wrote:

Anders W wrote:

eyeswideshut wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Suppose the MFT user can take a certain photo at 25 mm, f/2.8, 1/100 s, and ISO 3200. To capture the same photo, the FF user needs 50 mm, f/5.6, 1/100 s, and ISO 12800. Do you get it?

Have you tried varying shutter speed and leaving iso untouched?

If the MFT user needs 1/100 s to get the shot right, the FF user would need the same, right?

No, wrong. You want to change the aperture to 5.6, so a photographer will do what they have always done: longer exposure.

What about subject motion and camera shake?

What about it? I already accounted for that when I said you could play with sensitivity.

No you didn't. You didn't say you could "play with sensitivity". And such play wouldn't help.

However, you set up an equivalence between ff and mft, which already assumes equally efficient sensors and lenses. So to avoid interminable discussions about noise, a photographer would simply extend exposure time.

All you need is 50mm, f/5.6, 1/25, and ISO 3200. Voilá.

Again, what about subject motion and camera shake? If the shot requires 1/100 s to get that right, how does it help to lower shutter speed to 1/25?

In fact, I didn't change anything. I just described the settings required to get the same shot with an FF camera as with an MFT camera. F/5.6 on FF is required to get the same DoF as with f/2.8 on MFT.

Of course you could also play with sensitivity - that will depend on the actual picture you are trying to take.

Like I said, too much equivalency clouds the mind and blinds it's practioner to even the most basic things in photography.

It seems to have clouded yours all right, not mine.

Seems the clouds are all yours.

I am sure it seems that way to you only.

I think this equivalence back and forth is beginning to cloud all our minds

I don't have much trouble with it actually. Sorry you do.

You might want to reconsider that in light of the above.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
eyeswideshut

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow